When considering a replacement of an existing scheduling system, a fast and efficient migration process is vital. To ensure a successful migration and reduce risks, RES offers a proven combination of knowledge and know-how, skilled professional services, a dedicated migration team, and high-level automated migration tools that RES combines with its significant experience in the batch scheduling area for the past approximately 30 years, working with medium-large sites, mostly in the financial and insurance market.
RES utilizes their own products (the RES Suite) and methodologies to fully support the best of the various activities that are part of batch management related issues, with the aim of optimizing time and cost through structured event-sequences and tools.
Part of this experience is the migration between different batch scheduling systems.
If needed, RES can manage and execute the entire migration process, providing onsite training and support while simultaneously integrating the knowledge and experience of the client’s data center with our RES Suite tools and migration methodology. RES can also share activities of a conversion project with its business partners, in which case, the RES BP takes care of the activities on the client’s premises, while RES provides the migration service from the RES remote data center (jobs and schedules “translation”).
In addition to a traditional style of Batch Scheduler migration project, RES also optionally can provide:
- A tool for the analysis of obsolete objects (batch schedules and Jobs): which helps to reduce the amount of objects to be converted/migrated
- A graphical tool to monitor both schedulers (source & target) in parallel, tracking the progress during the migration
- A graphical tool which is very useful to the batch scheduling staff to aid in the understanding the newly created schedules
- An Impact Analysis tool that significantly reduces the time and effort needed at the beginning of the project, to identify the actions to be taken
- A migration tool that, populated with rules, automatically re-writes the job JCL modules for the new target environment.
RES has developed a robust suite of automated migration tools and professional services that enhance and standardize the migration process. Using our tools and methodologies (that can both be customized to match each customer’s specific needs), the migration from the source systems to the new technology is achieved quickly and in a very cost effective manner.
The migration process is completed in several stages:
- RES Suite installation on a secured RES environment
- Source scheduler usage analysis
- Identify obsolete objects (optional)
- Target scheduler standards definition
- Migration standards definition
- Automated migration tool and process customization
- Pilot application migration and parallel tracking – test
- Complete end-to-end migration
- Migration environments parallel tracking – test
Basically, the migration team is divided in two:
- A team working at the customer site, which works very closely with the team working in the RES lab, while also working side by side with the client to evaluate any need and help collect the material to be provided to the team working at the RES lab. This team is also in charge of performing the tests, first for the pilot application(s), then for all the other migrated schedules/jobs. This team can optionally consist of entirely RES IT personnel, for those situations wherer RES IT covers the whole project, or a mixed team of people from RES IT and from a RES IT Business Partner (where the BP can also be the prime contractor).
- A team working in the RES lab, where the migration tool is fully customized to better fit the client’s needs, and where the migration itself takes place. This team receives the jobs and schedules from the team working on the customer premises and sends back the migrated objects according to the projects plan.